Dan Scifo takes a look at the Penguins' Game 1 victory over...
GVB goes one-on-one with Penguins color commentator Phil Bourque
It has been a while since our pal George Von Benko has flipped us a new one-on-one, but he got to sit down with 2-time Stanley Cup winner and Penguins’ color commentator Phil Bourque yesterday afternoon to discuss a variety of issues and was kind enough to pass it along after it ran on his show this afternoon.
Bourque, as is expected when he shares his opinions, was insightful and entertaining in talking about a variety of topics such as…
- Sidney Crosby’s imminent return
- Kris Letang’s recovery, impact and possible return
- The team’s current 8-game winning streak
- How shots to head should be dealt with and how players should be suspended
- Could new rink structure be a cause of concussions?
- Modern equipment’s role in causing concussions
- Are the Penguins prohibitive favorites for the Stanley Cup this Spring?
***George Von Benko, is a successful author and broadcaster who has been a fixture in the Pittsburgh sports scene for decades. He recently penned the book “Memory Lane” (full description below), is working on two additional books, and hosts “Sportsline” weekly on 590 AM WMBS on Saturday’s from 10:15am EST to 12:00pm EST. George will also be heading to Bradenton, Florida on Monday morning to get a first hand look at Pittsburgh Pirates Spring Training, you can follow along with stories and interviews over at pirates.scout.com/.
Memory Lane by George Von Benko
Through the years Western Pennsylvania athletes have always ranked among the nation’s elite and most productive. George Von Benko has been a first hand observer for close to 50 years and his Memory Lane recounts the accomplishments and honors they have earned. It includes baseball Major Leaguers, collegiate football and basketball All Americans, NFL and NBA stars, olympians, legendary coaches on both the scholastic and collegiate scene and national figures like Sandy Stephens, Ernie Davis, Johnny Lujack and Vivian Stringer.
- Scifo on the Pens – Sutter’s goal propels Penguins past Blue Jackets in Game 1
- Scifo on the Pens – Penguins come up just short in third straight loss, fall to surging Kings
- Scifo on the Pens – Coyotes dispatch reeling Penguins, 3-2
- Scifo on the Pens – Backes nets game-winner in third, Blues edge Pens, 1-0