Though we haven’t posted one of GVB’s interviews in a while, he recently sat down with Ray Shero for his bi-yearly talk with Penguins’ General Manager Ray Shero. As we have all come to expect with a GVB interview, he touches on every hot button topic, transaction, injury and personnel move that the team has made.
This conversation took place right before the start of the season, so some of the info has changed a bit, specifically talk about Joe Morrow, but there is still plenty of great stuff. George gets Shero to discuss:
- Free agency – losing Rupp, Talbot/gaining Sullivan
- The fact that Shero bolstered his defense last season so that he didn’t have to spend quite as much as some of his peers did this off-season.
- The fact that his best acquisitions just might be his own players returning from injury — Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal.
- Crosby’s recovery process — how soon he may or may not be back in the line-up.
- Geno Malkin’s hunger for a big year and how great he looked in the pre-season.
- Thoughts on Joe Morrow, Scott Harrington and other young players such as Eric Tangradi.
- The new power play configurations and thoughts on how it has looked to this point.
- The strong play of Marc Andre Fleury.
- The head shot issue in the National Hockey League.
- Is Matt Cooke really a changed player?
- Much more…
To listen to the full interview, just click the play button below!
** George Von Benko is a long time fixture in the Western Pennsylvania sports scene and can be heard hosting his weekly sports talk show on WMBS Radio in Uniontown (AM 590) airing every Saturday from 10:15 am to 12:00 noon.